Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Talking Art...

Lets find out who actually reads this blog!  Or not...

We have limited amounts of Sue's Art to use, much of which is already in use.  SO...  On future cards that we cannot match up with Sue's art,  do you, the dear player, prefer free clip art, another artist's work, no artwork,  or what?  I like to play around with some of the subject matters of the game in art (I work real cheap, LOL!) and I know there are others that do too.  The problem with using another artist is, depending on the artist, we have would have legalities to work through which could raise prices on cards.

So, what opinions do you the dear readers and players have?  This is for talking only at this point since we are still getting by (somewhat) on the art we are allowed to use of Sue's.

P.S.  The attached artwork is mine, so you can see why I work cheap!

7 comments:

  1. Under the circumstances, it sounds like anything with the word “free” in the description would be the best long term choice.
    DS has a history of challenges with rights to certain art…best to avoid the entire issue imho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with recirculating Sue's Art. Imho, each card doesn't have to have unique art. Shoot, I'm fine with artless cards.

    If we do use other artists, it should be with a legally binding written agreement that the art is donated with no expectations of monetary or any other recompense beyond acknowledging the artist on the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, that is not fair for the amount of work that goes into the art. Some compensation with an agreement that the art can be used for the card(with the artist retaining all other rights to sell and or publish) for the lifetime of the game. Or however that legally can be worded. Otherwise it's just taking advantage of a young artist that doesn't realize the value of the time spent on the art. While I love the game enough to do that, I would NEVER ask someone else to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thinking about what's happened before and what Blind Fury said. Whatever works to get more cards in print without further cost increases that works for y'all is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Mike, I feel that recirculating Susan's art would help, and would be willing to use artless cards. That being said, the first thing that ever attracted my attention to Dragon Storm was the beautiful art. The first image that I saw for dragon storm was one of the Dragon Form cards. Something about the green scales on the blackened background with lightning flashing behind sparked my imagination in a way that no flavor text or stat block ever would. I could mention countless other cards whose art added flavor and depth to the experience, but the basic point remains that the art itself added much to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be willing to donate artwork even though I only play classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very generous offer, Nikki. Thanks. Do you have a sample of your work I could see? What type of art are you best at doing?

    ReplyDelete